- Celaeno or Celeno was a monster, a harpy whom Aeneas encountered at Strophades. She gave him prophecies of his coming journeys. She was one of three sisters, each of whom represented a different aspect of a great storm. Her name means "darkness" or "blackness". She was known as Podarge ("fleet foot"). The harpy Celaeno also appears as a captive of a traveling witch's Midnight Carnival, in the Peter S. Beagle classic fantasy novel, The Last Unicorn.
- One of the Pleiades, or Seven Sisters, was also called Celaeno. She was married to Poseidon and with him mother of Lycus, Nycteus, Eurypylus, and possibly Triton. She was also said to be mother of Deucalion by Promethius.
- One of the Danaids, the daughters of Danaus. Her mother was Crino. She married Hyperbius, son of Aegyptus and Hephaestine.
In the Works of H.P. Lovecraft Edit
Celaeno is an extradimensional location in the Cthulhu Mythos.
Other appearances Edit
- Celaeno appears and is named in the film The Last Unicorn.
- The star Celaeno in the Pleiades open cluster of stars.