Template:Greek myth (Titan) In Greek mythology, Coeus (Ancient Greek: Template:Polytonic, Koios) was one of the Titans, the giant sons and daughters of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaia (Earth). His equivalent in Latin poetry—though he scarcely makes an appearance in Roman mythology— was Polus, the embodiment of the celestial axis around which the heavens revolve. Like most of the Titans he played no active part in Greek religion—he appears only in lists of Titans— but was primarily important for his descendants. With his sister, "shining" Phoebe, Coeus fathered Leto and Asteria. Leto copulated with Zeus (the son of fellow Titans Cronus and Rhea) and bore Artemis and Apollo.
- ↑ Ovid in Metamorphoses (VI.185) alludes to Coeus' obscure nature: "Latona, that Titaness whom Coeus sired, whoever he may be." (nescio quoque audete satam Titanida Coeo): M. L. West, in "Hesiod's Titans" (The Journal of Hellenic Studies 105 [1985:174–175]) remarks that Phoibe's "consort Koios is an even more obscure quantity. Perhaps he too had originally to with Delphic divination", and he suspects that Phoebe, Koios and Themis were Delphic additions to the list of Titanes, drawn from various archaic sources.
- ↑ Specifically in the surviving epitome of Hyginus' Preface to the Fabulae; the name of Coeus is repeated in the list of Gigantes.
- ↑ Such as Hesiod, Theogony 133; Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheke 1.2–1.3; Diodorus Siculus, 5.66.1.
- ↑ Hesiod included among his descendents Hekate, daughter of Asteriē, as Apostolos N. Athanassakis, noted, correcting the OCD, noted (Athanassakis, "Hekate Is Not the Daughter of Koios and Phoibe" The Classical World 71.2 [October 1977:127]); R. Renehan expanded the note in "Hekate, H. J. Rose, and C. M. Bowra", The Classical World, 73.5 (February 1980:302–304).
- ↑ Homeric Hymn to Delian Apollo, 61; in the Orphic Hymn to Leto she is Leto Koiantes, "Leto, daughter of Koios".
- ↑ Hesiod, Theogony 404 ff; Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheke 1.8.
- Theoi Project: Koios
- Godchecker (Greek Mythology): Coeus
- The Pedigree of Coeus (Koios) the Titan
- Historiae Romanorum: Coeus
- Stewart, Michael. "People, Places & Things: Coeus", Greek Mythology: From the Iliad to the Fall of the Last Tyrant.
ast:Ceu az:Key bn:কয়উস br:Koios an Titan bg:Койос ca:Ceos (fill d'Urà) cs:Koios da:Koios de:Koios et:Koios el:Κόιος es:Ceo eu:Zeo fa:کئوس fr:Coéos ko:코이오스 hr:Kej id:Koios it:Ceo (mitologia) he:קואאוס lb:Koios lt:Kojas nl:Koios ja:コイオス no:Koios pl:Kojos pt:Céos ro:Coeus ru:Кей simple:Koios sk:Koios sr:Кеј sh:Kej (mitologija) fi:Koios sv:Koios tr:Koios uk:Кей vi:Coeus zh:科俄斯